Social Media is a funny thing- some seem to stumble into overnight success. For others, it requires time to get the hang of it, or working with a professional to help them “get it”. Unfortunately, lots of people in the latter group end up driving the rest of us nuts. So, here are my top 5 tips for getting it right!
Here ya go:
1) social media requires being consistent, not frequent. This means checking in regularly, not posting over and over like an Obsessive-Compulsive crackhead.
2) it is really crucial to be authentic. it is really crucial to be authentic. it is really crucial to be authentic. I can’t state this enough. Unless you have some incredibly unique perspective on something newsworthy, stop trying to compete with CNN, we already have news sources. Talk about your day, people you meet, things you do… Talk naturally and take your mom’s advice- be yourself.
3) Facebook is not MySpace. The days of gaining credibility because you have a massive following are again. Remember how Twitter went through that phase where you could pay to have thousands of people follow you overnight? That kind of killed it for a lot of people. Just because you have 18,000 friends will not mean that I will think you are well-like or well-connected. I will just think you need lots and lots of attention. Remember- its quality of the network, not quantity.
4) Don’t post a bunch of “broadcast-y” stuff- interact, butt into conversations, talk with people, and repost things that others have said (giving them credit of course).
5) Stop selling. YES, I said stop selling. Selling in social media is like having the Plague- nothing will drive people away faster. The people who are really good at marketing and sales in social media aren’t trying so hard. They know that making genuine connections with people leads to referrals.
I find that the people who are naturals tend to be those who:
1) aren’t afraid to learn new things (technology changes from minute to minute, embrace it!)
2) who are naturally social creatures (you know, those people who actually care about other people?)
3) those who understand that marketing or message sharing starts with relationship building
That’s pretty much it, follow these steps and you’ll go from social media zero to hero 😉